Saturday, March 7, 2009

No Baptist Church Here! ( No offense!)

When I was growing up I remember often pulling into the driveway and my Dad saying it looked like our house was a Baptist church- now I don't know why ( I don't think I've ever attended a Baptist church), but that meant that we had lots of lights on. (Do they have lots of lights??) The saying has stuck and I've thought it myself a few times- but no more at the Ashead house!! A month or so ago I was talking to my sister and was amazed when she mentioned how little her electric bill was- about $100 less than ours! How could that be??? Yes her house is a little smaller, and there is 3 people there instead of our 5, but that seemed to be such a huge difference that it was time to see what we could do about our electric bill. So Richard and I did some research and then talked to the kids. It seemed like a big $ waster was leaving our computers on when they weren't being used, knowing that someone would want to use them sometime- so that has definitley decreased, also sometimes the kids would leave their lights on when they left for school but I wouldn't know it because their doors were shut. Anyhow- we tried to get everyone on board to TURN OFF THOSE LIGHTS! and such- and the amazing happy result- we just got our bill and it is over $50 less than the previous month. Next bill we're waiting for- water. We put in a low flow shower head- what will the savings be???

And so it goes...

3 comments:

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

I thought that was your house with all the lights on, JK, that really is good to know we'll have to try it

Anonymous said...

I know we call it the circus lights. We had change our bulbs to those energy efecient ones and it seems to help, but I really like the idea to get everybosy on board

Anonymous said...

I actually saw a thing on Oprah where the lady cut her bill by like $100.00/month by unplugging tv's, lamps etc - all of those things draw energy even if they are not on....just plugged in. Things like toasters, microwaves etc. I was on board for awhile but lost my momentum. You have inspired me to get with the program again.
Cheryl