Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camp Ashead

Finishing touch for the chocolate covered marshmallows!
Camp Ashead sign

Boys will be Boys!! Andrew and Richard enjoyed using the magnifying glasses to try to start a fire!
Jayna showing off her sand art creation!



Angela and Jayna having a race!


Well, Jayna declared it to be "the second best day of my life" (being beaten out only by the day she was born), so I will call Camp Ashead a huge success this year. We've been doing Camp Ashead for years now- we probably started the year Andrew finished first grade- because I was inspired by fun activities that they did at the school's Camp Skeeter day.


Anyhow- Camp Ashead is a day of fun "campy" activities, but I have to say that I think a lot of the enjoyment comes from the fact that I really just try to play with the kids all day. Instead of sending them to blow bubbles, or draw with chalk I'm right there- the whole day- really trying to spend a lot of fun time with them-

Andrew and Whitney have outgrown it, so this year I put them to work helping with the activities. They did a great job and I was really proud of them. Since it would have been just Jayna playing, we did invite another little girl on the street to join us for a bit.


Activities of the day included- Making camp posters, sand art, bubble blowing, chalk drawing, slip and slide, water balloons, water race, making chocolate covered marshmallows, looking at nature with magnifying glasses,grilling out and making smores and ending the night sleeping in the tent. (Well Jayna, Richard and I).


I have to say I'm so glad I can have these experiences with my kids- hopefully they'll remember them as happy times.

And so it goes...









2 comments:

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

Sweet, it looks like you had a lot of fun!!

Rachel said...

I LOVE this idea!! Looks like so much fun. And I love that you and Richard slept out with Jayna...what good sports!

You've inspired me to hold "Camp Nielson" someday!