Saturday, February 9, 2008

Grandma and sleepover

Hi- All is going pretty well, I have an itchy miserable throat and feel a bit yucky, but nothing too horrible.

My Grandma Cosgrove passed away this week. Although I wouldn't say we were exactly close her death has made me think of memories of her : we have a wonderful, huge afaghan that she crocheted for us when we got married, I think when I was young she tried teaching me the art, but I've never been the crafty one so much; I remember going to her house on Sunday's after church, I don't think she ever had much food there, so we usually got chipped chop ham and chips from one of the two corner stores, Rayles or Scafidies (?sp). I still like to eat ham sandwiches with chips on them. I remember her old house on 4th street, and of course the favorite part being the great porch swing. I loved that swing. I remember the week I stayed with her one summer, I remember walking to a store to get something and watching old shows on TV, I just remember it being nice having some one on one time without anyone else being there. I remember too her love for Pap. Memories of Grandma, naturally bring about memories of Pap ( I don't remember calling him that, but I understand that we did), I remember him being tall, Mexican jumping beans and the bank that we put pennies in and hit the lever for the dog to go through the hoop to put the pennies in the barrel ( I'm not even sure if I have that memory exactly right, because I know Mom now has a bank like that, I'm not sure if they were the same or different, I think different with theirs being a black dog?) I remember coloring in an Archie Bunker coloring book at their house and that when I was in the hospital in 3rd grade she (grandma) came to visit and brought a gift. I also remember that from the bathroom, there were steps that led to a creepy basement. It's funny the things you remember, and as I've thought about this, it makes me realize how little things impact a persons life, as I said at the beginning, I wouldn't say Grandma and I were exactly close, yet as I think of these memories I believe they (Grandma and Pap) probably helped shape me, and I am thankful for their kindess.

Made it through Whitney's birthday sleepover this weekend. She had a great time, but I must admit, I am not a huge fan of sleepovers, especially when it is more than just one other person. She invited 5 girls over, they all came, however 2 left around 10 at night instead of staying over. (Shh...., I was thankful for that) They played games, ate, watched tv and chatted, it seemed to go pretty well. I have memories of bad things happening at sleepovers so I tend to worry about them. Whitney got some webkinz and jammies. Her birthday isn't until the 24th, but our weekends are so busy, this is what we had to go for.

Hope all is well for everyone, and so it goes...

No comments: