Wednesday, March 5, 2008

March 5

Day 2 of Richard being in Florida- he is definitely enjoying the weather, opposed to the ice storm we had here! He went to visit with his parents, his mom mentioned around the holidays that she thought this might be his Dad's last Christmas, so Richard just wanted to take the opportunity to visit with them some. Unfortunately the day or 2 before he was to arrive, his Dad landed in the hospital. He had gotten up to go to the bathroom and his leg broke ( I think a side effect of being on dialysis) He had to have surgery and was on a ventilator, then there was a blood clot in his other leg and he had to have more surgery. The ventilator has been removed, and hopefully he will be moved out of intensive care today (if it hasn't already happened), that will allow Richard and his mom a lot more time to visit with him. I think he'll still be in the hospital for awhile, and then he'll need about 6 weeks for recovery/rehab?? I don't know all the details, but it is possible he will go into a facility during this time, which makes my mother-in-law feel guilty, but he would still need care at that time, that I don't know that she could do, along with his regular dialysis. Anyhow, it seems like it was probably a good idea to go when Richard did.

Andrew's play went really well and he did great, hopefully I'll post some pictures soon. Whitney got selected for a solo in the elementary's musical. The kids definitely do not get their singing ability from me!!!

Okay, I'm still trying to pin down what to do career/college wise for myself, so I thought I'd write out some of my thoughts of things I like or have thought about...

Since I was in high school I thought it would be cool to own/run a campground- I guess my love of nature and also fun mixed together, but it would require working on Sundays, and I'm just not sure if I'd be brave enough to do a sink/swim business venture.

I generally do enjoy working with preschoolers- and have thought about getting my associates degree in early childhood, but sometimes I feel like I've already done that avenue and would like to expand

I love reading and literature.

I feel such a need to help people- so have definitely considered the human services field/ possibly social work. It is just a huge piece of who I am internally.

I have considered occupational therapy because it is a way to help people, I can get a beginners degree (assistant) in 2 years, and it pays fairly well.

Okay, so if anyone know what this makes me, or where I should be headed, let me know!!! If I'm going to be spending the $, at this point I really want to make the best choice. (hmm, if I go the human service route, is there a way to incorporate the reading/nature and kids?)

Hope all is going well for everyone! And so it goes...

Reading now: "Before Women had Wings" by Connie May Fowler
Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by??K. Ishaguro? (something like that) -- I really liked this book!

2 comments:

Lexi said...

Sue,
You would be a great COTA (certified occupational therapy assistant). They do get paid well considering only 2 years of school. I would absolutely recommend that. There are always listings for COTAs in the medical publications I read. I say go that route!

Anonymous said...

Sue - I agree with Lex. The medical field offers so much flexibility, great benefits, short schooling required. It would fulfill your need to help people. I can understand why you like the idea of social work, but I have heard it is such a burnout/downer field. People get frustrated and then even more irritated when they are emotionally exhausted and the pay isn't good. I know a couple people that this has happened to. Instead, maybe volunteer with an organization that matters to you on the side. That is on my list of things to do this year. I am currently looking into Harvest for Hunger and Dress for Success. And incorporate the reading/literature and nature into your personal life. I really enjoy belonging to a book club because it fills my need for that. Or do they ever use occupational therapists at like a summer kid's camp or anything - like a rehab camp? Just some ideas. I think it's great that you are thinking about all of these things.